Global Colorectal Cancer Drugs Market
Colorectal cancer is also known as bowel cancer. It refers to the abnormal growth of the cells in colon and rectum due to cancer. Colorectal cancer starts either in the colon and rectum. Cancer starts as a polyp in the inner wall of the colon or rectum. These polyps can be benign or malignant. Some of the risk factors that can cause colorectal cancer are lifestyle changes, old age, genetic disorders, family history, and inflammatory bowel disease. Some of the symptoms of colorectal cancer are blood in stool, decrease in appetite, constipation, weight loss, nausea, bloating, and pelvic pain.
Global colorectal cancer market is driven by some of the major factors such as increasing prevalence of colorectal cancer, technological advancements in the cancer therapy, aging population, and raise in consumer awareness about colorectal cancers. However, high costs of screening tests and drugs, lack of knowledge are some of the restraints that are hampering the growth of the global colorectal cancer drugs market.
The global colorectal cancer drugs market is segmented by therapy, drug class, distribution channel, and regions.
On the basis of therapy, global colorectal cancer drugs market is segmented as
- Adjuvant Chemotherapy
- Palliative Chemotherapy
- Immuno Therapy
- Neo Adjuvant Chemotherapy
On the basis of drug type, global colorectal cancer drugs market is segmented as
On the basis of distribution channel, the global colorectal cancer drugs market is segmented as
- Retail Pharmacies
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Some common treatment regimens using these drugs include:
- Capecitabine, an oral form of 5-FU
- 5-FU with leucovorin (Wellcovorin), a vitamin that improves the effectiveness of 5-FU
- FOLFIRI: 5-FU with leucovorin and irinotecan
- FOLFOX: 5-FU with leucovorin and oxaliplatin
- Irinotecan alone
- XELOX/CAPEOX: Capecitabine with oxaliplatin
- XELIRI/CAPIRI: Capecitabine with irinotecan
Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer in the world. Huge government initiatives taken by the nations are booming up the growth of the colorectal cancer drugs treatment market globally. Biologics such as Zaltrap (Ziv-Aflibercept), Erbitux (Cetuximab), Avastin (Bevacizumab) are using rapidly for the treatment for colorectal cancer that are used as a targeted therapy and they acts only on the malignant cells. Market players in the colorectal cancer drugs market forming strategic alliances and partnerships to increase their market share.
Geographically, global colorectal cancer treatment market is segmented into five key regions such as Latin America, North America, Asia-Pacific, Europe and The Middle East and Africa. North America expected to grow at significant rate in colorectal cancer drugs market owing to the growing incidence of colorectal cancer and widespread awareness about early diagnosis and treatment of colorectal cancer. Asia Pacific region expected to have rapid growth in the market during the forecast period owing to huge population densities and high incidence of colorectal cancer in countries such as India and China.
Some of the players in the colorectal cancer drugs market are Amgen Inc. (U.S), Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (U.S.), F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. (Switzerland), Bayer AG (Germany), Merck & Co., Inc. (U.S.), and Sanofi (France) to name a few.
- In Aug 2016, Sanofi’s Zaltrap received U.S. FDA approval to use with FOLFIRI to treat adult patients having colorectal cancer
- In May 23, 2014, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for Amgen’s Vectibix (panitumumab) for use in combination with FOLFOX, to treat metastatic colorectal cancer
- In Sept. 16, 2013, Genentech received U.S. FDA approval for the first generic version of Xeloda, to treat cancer of the colorectal cancer
- In Sept 2012, The USFDA approved Stivarga (regorafenib) (Bayer) tablets to treat patients with collateral cancer
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share and forecast from 2017-2023
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, key findings and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, challenges, and trends that are currently faced by the industry
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments and startup’s details that are working in the industry
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework and reimbursement scenario