Global Narcolepsy Treatment Market Report
Narcolepsy is a lifelong sleeping disorder which makes you feel immensely tired sometimes with uncontrollable sudden sleep attacks in severe cases. It is a disabling condition which is characterized by three different symptoms such as excessive daytime cataplexy, sleepiness and irresistible sleep episodes, fluctuating automatic behaviours. Narcolepsy generally begins between 15 to 25 years and it can be evident at any age. Global Narcolepsy Treatment Market is untreated and undiagnosed in many cases.
Factors that are driving the growth of Global Narcolepsy Treatment Market are growing prevalence of various sleeping disorders including narcolepsy, increase awareness about the sleep disorders. Furthermore, increasing demand for advanced diagnostics and therapeutics to treat sleeping disorders and rise in geriatric population. A narcoleptic disorder is proportionately prevalent to Parkinson’s disease, according to the WHO statistics, more than 3 million people are suffering from narcolepsy across the globe. However, stringent regulatory framework, unawareness about the disorder in underdeveloped countries, abuse usage of the drugs, delayed or undiagnosed of the narcolepsy are the few factors which are hampering the growth of narcolepsy treatment market.
The Global Narcolepsy Treatment Market is classified on the basis of a disorder, drug class, distribution channel, and geography.
Based on a type of disorder, the Global Narcolepsy Treatment Market is segmented into the following:
- Secondary Narcolepsy
- Narcolepsy with cataplexy
- Narcolepsy without cataplexy
Based on drugs, the Global Narcolepsy Treatment Market is segmented into the following:
- MAO-B Inhibitors (Selegiline)
- Tricyclic Anti-Depressants (TCA)
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI)
- Monoamine Oxidase Type-A (MAO-A) inhibitors
Based on distribution channel, the Global Narcolepsy Treatment Market is segmented into the following:
- Hospital pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Narcolepsy is the 3rd most common sleeping disorder which affects the large group of the population. A prevalence rate of narcolepsy is substantially lower in Israel i.e. 1 in 500,000 people and considerably high in Japan i.e. 1 in 600 in comparison with U.S. according to the narcolepsy network. Narcolepsy is not curable but can be treated with drugs like dextroamphetamine, methylphenidate etc. to reduce the sleep attacks. Mergers and acquisitions, collaborations, expansions to untapped geographies are the growth strategies that are adopted by the market players to enhance the market growth and to improve their product portfolio. Several voluntary organizations across the world such as Wake up Narcolepsy, Narcolepsy Network, American Sleep Association, and European Narcolepsy Network are actively involving in spreading the awareness regarding the sleeping disorders and their associated symptoms like EDS, sleep paralysis, and cataplexy.
On the basis of geographical regions, Global Narcolepsy Treatment Market is classified as into five key regions as Asia- Pacific, North America, Europe, Middle East & Africa and Latin America. Europe narcolepsy treatment market is growing at significant rate owing to the high prevalence of narcolepsy disorder, increasing capital investments and established healthcare infrastructure existence associated with large population target. As per to the estimated data by Narcolepsy UK around 25,000 people are suffering from narcolepsy disorder and about 75% of people are untreated because of undiagnosed and misdiagnosed in U.K. North America holds a significant market share in narcoleptic treatment market owing to the increasing prevalence of the narcolepsy. According to Narcolepsy Network, approximately 1 in 2,000 people in U.S. are suffering from narcolepsy and prevalence of the disorder in North America is about 0.07% and incidence for narcolepsy without cataplexy is 1.37% in 100,000 people and with cataplexy is 0.74 % in 100 people.
Some of the players in narcolepsy treatment market are Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc.(U.S), Inc., BIOPROJET, Evotec AG (Germany), Graymark Healthcare, Inc. (U.S), Hypnion, Inc. (U.S), Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc.(U.S), Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.(Israel) and Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc.,(Ireland).
- In January 2017, Jazz pharmaceuticals received U.S.FDA approval for the first generic version of Xyrem to treat narcolepsy patients.
- In September 2016, Ligand Pharmaceuticals out-licenses 4 development programs to Seelos Therapeutics, that including its H3 receptor antagonist program for narcolepsy, Aplindore program for various CNS disorders, CRTH2 antagonist program for respiratory disorders, Captisol enabled acetaminophen program for fever and pain management.
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share, and forecast from 2017-2023
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, key findings, and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, challenges, and trends that are currently faced by the industry
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments, and startup’s details that are working in the industry
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework, and reimbursement scenario