Global Obesity Treatment Market
Obesity is the medical condition occurs due to the excessive or abnormal accumulation of fat inside the body. Obesity is measured with respect to Basal Metabolic Index (BMI). According to world health organization, more than 30 BMI is considered as the obese. Obesity may lead to osteoarthritis, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and various types of cancer. The risk factors for obesity include lack of physical exercise, excessive food intake, endocrine disorders, genetic inheritance, and due to some medications. obesity treatment reduces the body mass either by an increase in calorie consumption or by the decrease in craving.
Increase in the prevalence of obese population around the globe, increase in R&D activities for the innovation of new treatment, change in lifestyle such as food habits, and genetic inheritance is the major factors anticipated fuel the obesity treatment market over the forecast period. Moreover, increase in awareness about obesity treatment, huge pipeline products available for the obesity treatment, and government initiations for increasing awareness about chronic nature of obesity are propelling the obesity treatment market. However, high cost for R&D activities, alternative treatment for the obesity, adverse effects associated with the treatment, and stringent regulatory guidelines might hinder the growth of Obesity Treatment Market
Global Obesity Treatment Market segmented on the basis of drug type, mechanism of action, distribution mode, route of administration, and distribution channel
Based on the medicine type, Global Market segmented into the following:
- Centrally acting obesity medicines
- Peripherally acting obesity medicines
Based on the mechanism of action, Global Market segmented into the following:
- Serotonin-Norepinephrine-Dopamine reuptake inhibitors (SNDRIs)
- Serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- Sympathomimetic-GABA receptor agonists
Based on the distribution mode, Global Market segmented into the following:
- Over-the-counter medicines
- Prescription medicines
Based on the route of administration, Global Market segmented into the following:
Based on the distribution channel, Global Market segmented into the following:
- Hospital pharmacies
- Retail pharmacies
- Online pharmacies
Global Obesity Treatment Market expected to grow at a significant CAGR owing to increase in the R&D activities for the innovation of new products and presence of various pipeline products for the treatment of obesity. Increase in the prevalence of obese population fuelling the obesity treatment market growth. According to World Health Organization 2014, more than 39% of adults (600 Mn adults) adults and 42 Mn children were obese. In addition, entry of generic products due to patent expiry of blockbuster treatment also driving the revenue of obesity treatment. For instance, in March 2017, Novo Nordisk has received European Commission marketing authorization approval of Saxenda an injectable obesity drug and launched the same in India market in 2017.
Geographically, Obesity Treatment Market segmented into North America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Latin America, and Asia Pacific. North America has a significant share in global obesity treatment market owing to increase in the R&D activities for the innovation of newer products, rise in prevalence of obese population majorly in U.S. (according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2014, about 36.5% adults were obese in U.S.). In Europe, the obesity prevalence is growing (according to World Health Organization, in Europe more than 30% people were obese) due to changes in lifestyle, food habits, and hectic work schedules. Moreover, launching new products into the Europe market, the rise in healthcare expenditure, increase in R&D activities, and awareness about the causes of obesity are anticipated to boost the obesity treatment market. However, Asia Pacific is an emerging market owing to increase in the medical tourism majorly in India and China, a rise in adult population, increase in per capita income, and diversification of business into Asia Pacific region by market players.
Some of the players in Obesity Treatment Market are Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH (Germany), Takeda Pharmaceuticals co. Ltd. (Japan), Novo Nordisk A/S (Denmark), GlaxoSmithKline Plc (U.K.), AstraZeneca Plc (U.K.), F. Hoffmann La Roche Ltd. (Switzerland), Pfizer, Inc. (U.S.), Gubra (Denmark), Orexigen Therapeutics Inc. (U.S.), and Eisai Co. Ltd. (Japan) to name a few.
- In August 2017, Boehringer Ingelheim collaborated with Gubra for the development of obesity treatment
- In March 2016, Orexigen Therapeutics Inc. inked an agreement with Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd. to acquire U.S. rights to Contrave used in the treatment of obesity
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share, and forecast from 2017-2023
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, key findings, and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, challenges, and trends that are currently faced by the industry
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments, and startup’s details that are working in the industry
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework, and reimbursement scenario