Global Optogenetics Market
Optogenetics is the biological technique in neuroscience used for controlling the cells in the living tissue with the help of a light. Optogenetics is majorly used for monitor and control the activities of neurons in living tissue. Light-sensitive proteins are used as key reagents in the optogenetics. The neuronal control achieved by using optogenetic actuators such as halorhodopsin, channelrhodopsin, and archaerhodopsin. Optical recording of the neuronal activities made with optogenetic sensors for the neurotransmitter, membrane voltage, vesicular release, or calcium. Optogenetics is adopted in the ophthalmology, cardiology, behavioural science, neuroscience, and others.
Increase in the adoption of optogenetics in the behavioural and neuroscience, technological advancements in optogenetics, growth in ultrafast laser tool technology are the key factors driving the growth of optogenetics market. Moreover, rise in the number of research laboratories adopting optogenetics technology around the globe and development in the genetic engineering research expected to propel the optogenetics market over the forecast period. However, a high cost of the technology, lack of awareness about the optogenetics, and the dearth of skilled professionals for optogenetic research might hamper the optogenetics market over the forecast period.
Global Optogenetics market is segmented on the basis of product type, targeting technology, application, and end user
Based on the product type, optogenetics market is segmented into the following:
- Genetically encoded calcium indicators
- pH sensors
- Chloride sensors
- Neurotransmitter release sensors
- Voltage-sensitive fluorescent proteins
- Light equipment
Based on the technique, optogenetics market is segmented into the following:
- Viral vectors
- Transgenic animals
- Cre-Dependant Expression system
Based on the application, optogenetics market is segmented into the following:
- Behavioural science
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Retinal disease treatment
Based on the end user, optogenetics market is segmented into the following:
- Pharmaceutical & Biopharmaceutical companies
- Biotechnology companies
- Academic research institutes
Global optogenetics market is growing at a significant CAGR owing to rise in the adoption of optogenetics technology in neuroscience and behavioural science. An innovation of newer technologies for various diseases such as obesity and retinal diseases on optogenetics platform might fuel the optogenetics market growth in near future. For instance, in August 2015, Boehringer Ingelheim and Circuit therapeutic have collaborated to develop the novel medicines for obesity on optogenetics technology platform. Acquisitions and mergers, collaborations, technological advancements, and fundraising are the strategies adopted by the companies for increasing their revenue in optogenetics market. For instance, in November 2015, RetroSense Therapeutics secured US$ 6Mn Series B financing from various organizations for the clinical development of RST-001 for the treatment of Retinitis pigmentosa. Moreover, in November 2016, Bruker targeted on optogenetics market by commercializing NeuraLight 3D an optical module for stimulating and imaging the multiple neurons.
Geographically, optogenetics market is segmented into North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. Increase in the R&D activities in neuroscience and optogenetics and availability of professional researchers in North America is anticipated to create demand for optogenetics research in the region. Moreover, the optogenetics market is developing in the Europe region owing to collaboration between the companies for developing newer technologies on optogenetics platform. However, technological developments in optogenetics market, increase in the applications of optogenetics, and rise in R&D activities in Asia Pacific region plays a key role in optogenetics market growth.
Some of the players in optogenetics market are Coherent, Inc. (U.S.), Noldus Information technology (Netherlands), Thorlabs, Inc. (U.S.), Bruker (U.S.), Laserglow Technologies (Canada), Regenexbio, Inc. (U.S.), GenSight Biologics S.A. (France), Jackson Laboratory (U.S.), Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation (U.S.), and Circuit Therapeutics, Inc. (U.S.) to name a few.
- In January 2017, Applied Genetic Technology Corporation and Bionic Sight collaborated for the development of optogenetic therapy and device for the treatment of visual deficits and blindness
- In September 2016, Allergan acquired RetroSense Therapeutics for the development of RST-001 used in the treatment of retinitis pigmentosa.
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share, and forecast from 2017-2023
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, key findings, and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, challenges, and trends that are currently faced by the industry
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments, and startup’s details that are working in the industry
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework, and reimbursement scenario