Wound is a disruption of skin epithelial lining or mucosa which results in thermal or physical damage. Depending upon healing nature and duration, wound is classified as chronic wounds and acute wounds. Wounds can be caused due to incisions made in the body during surgeries. In bioactive wound management a sterile dressing or pad is applied on the wounds to assist healing and to prevent further contamination and injuries. In bioactive wound management dress in different from normal bandage and designed specially to stay in direct contact with wound.
Bioactive wound management market is driven by advancements in technology, upsurge in geriatric population, and problems associated with conventional wound healing procedures. Furthermore, increase in government initiatives, demand for fast and safe treatment for chronic wounds, increase in prevalence of lifestyle disorders such as venous leg ulcer, pressure ulcer and diabetic foot ulcer are anticipated to fuel the revenue growth of bioactive wound management. However, high cost of treatment and unfavourable reimbursement policies are restraints of bioactive wound management market.
The global bioactive wound management market is classified on the basis of product, type, end user and regions.
Based on Product, market is segmented as
- Antimicrobial Wound Care
- Silver based
- Non Silver Based
- Active Wound Care
- Skin Substituents
- Bio Materials
- Moist Wound Care
Based on Type, market is segmented as
- Collagen Based Dressings
- Skin Substitutes
- Topical Dressings
Based on End User, market is segmented as
- Trauma Centres
- Ambulatory Surgical Centres (ASC)
Based on Region, Market is segmented as
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- The Middle East and Africa
Bioactive wound management market is in nascent stage. Many innovative products are being developed and designed by market players in order to provide quick healing for the chronic wounds like venous leg ulcers, diabetic foot ulcers. For example, Tegaderm Alginate silver dressing by 3M Company is an antibacterial silver dressing for wounds which provide moisture to the wounds because of soft gelling absorbency, so as to heal quickly. Bioactive wound products are useful during severe trauma, diabetic ulcers, and burns. Introduction of Dermagraft and Alpigraph have provided major support for the bioactive wound management market growth. Major players are focused on collaborations and partnerships, product launches and investments on R&D activities. For instance, in 2015 3M Healthcare acquired IveraMedical Corporation and in the same year Smith & Nephew acquired DeOST LLC and DeLLC, a part of DeOST group.
Global Bioactive wound management market is segmented as Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, North America, and The Middle East and Africa. North America dominates the bioactive wound management market due to rise in incidence of injuries, growing patient awareness, and increase in prevalence of diabetes. As per American Burn Association statistics, approximately 486,000 burn injuries registered in U.S. in 2011. Europe holds the second largest position in global bioactive wound management market due to rise in adoption of advanced technologies, presence of large number of market players. Asia Pacific is the most lucrative market in global bioactive wound management market owing to rapid development of emerging countries, rising awareness among the people, increase in prevalence of injuries and burns.
Some of the players in Global bioactive wound management market are
- Smith & Nephew plc (UK)
- Wound Care Technologies, Inc. (U.S.)
- Acelity LP Inc. (U.S.)
- Baxter International Inc. (U.S.)
- 3M Company (U.S.)
- Medtronic plc (U.S.)
- Hematris wound care GmbH (Germany)
- Derma Sciences, Inc. (U.S.)
- BSN Medical GmbH (Germany)
- Mölnlycke Health Care AB (Sweden)
- Coloplast A/S (Denmark)
- IonMed (Israel)
- ConvaTec Group Plc (UK)
- Ethicon, Inc. (U.S.)
Notable Market Developments
- In September 2016, ConvaTec launched FoamLite silicone foam dressing to treat various acute and chronic wounds.
- In September 2014, ConvaTec launched AQUACEL Ag SURGICAL SP dressing to reduce infections at surgical site in Europe, Asia and Canada.
Key Features of the Report:
- The report provides granular level information about the market size, regional market share, historic market (2013 to 2016) and forecast (2017 to 2024)
- The report covers in-detail insights about the competitor’s overview, company share analysis, key market developments, and their key strategies
- The report outlines drivers, restraints, unmet needs, and trends that are currently affecting the market
- The report tracks recent innovations, key developments and startup’s details that are actively working in the market
- The report provides plethora of information about market entry strategies, regulatory framework and reimbursement scenario
- The report analyses the impact of socio-political environment through PESTLE Analysis and competition through Porter’s Five Force Analysis in addition to recent technology advancements and innovations in the market